Search This Blog

Monday, September 01, 2008

Mind Your Language

Mind Your Language is a British comedy television series that I watched when I was younger, it was originally aired in late 1977-1979. The show was cancelled in 1979 and it was sold to other countries, including Malaysia. If I'm not mistaken, it was aired on TV2 late at night during the 90s'. My sister and I often stayed up late just to watch the series though we had school the next day. Then it was always followed by Lucille Ball in The Lucy Show (1966-1967) then the Knight Rider (1982).

Mind Your Language, the series focuses on the foreigners adult students learning English in a London School. They're teacher Mr.Jeremy Brown often has to take up with all the nonsense his students who don't speak much English come up with.

It's amazing some users from youtube still have the series and posted it up. Just 2days ago, I was re-watching all the episodes available and I found this episode very amusing. With Su-Lee, the chinese student from China speaking Hokkien. It's a British comedy and yet they potrait someone speaking Hokkien, and later on I realized the slang is rather familiar. As we know, the Hokkien dialect varies in every states in Malaysia, China and also Taiwan. Penang hokkien dialect has its very own words and tunes. We sometimes say 'Jiamban' which means toilet and we also know the word comes from Malay 'Jamban'. Or 'HorSua/HorJia' which means umbrella, some other people from other states don't understand. I only can sum that up by, Penangites, they made up their own words and it has been circulating around and so that made us all speak the same slang.


4.21-4.28
Su Lee: Oo mai mai. Mai toi wa, beh sai toi wa eh. ( ... tam pok ) Mai ka lu kong ua
( oo don't don't. Don't follow me, cannot follow me. (... a bit ) Don't want to talk to you

5.17-5.22
Su Lee: An chua ee toi lang jip chai kheng eh? Eeyoh beh sai ti toi lang jip chai kheng! ee beh sieow sia eh er!
( why follow people to toilet one? eeyoh cannot keep following people to toilet! how come not ashamed!
)

I later found out from my sister that Su-Lee really was born in Penang, Malaysia. So no wonder the slang so familiar and it was easy to understand! Because I know I can't understand other states' Hokkien, China's or Taiwan's.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
Button Mushroom by Jessica is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.1 Japan License.